Our Appointment System is changing!
The appointment system will be changing on Monday 28th October. We are modelling the changes in line with a system that has been proven to work well in another local practice. We are hoping to try and avoid the need to keep calling back at 8.00am to try to get an appointment by changing the way in which the GPs and Reception staff work. The main changes are:
- You will be asked for a reason for your appointment each time you call – whether it is an urgent or routine problem. This enables the reception team to deal with your problem in the most appropriate way.
- Where an appointment is needed they will assess the level of urgency; what needs to be seen today, or within a few days/weeks, but also what does not need to be seen at all. Our GPs tell us that they regularly see patients that could have easily been helped by the pharmacist, nursing team or even by self-care.
- Our reception staff will be working to guidelines set by our GPs to make sure that you are booked in with an appropriate timescale for your problem and with the most appropriate member of staff for your needs. They may also signpost you to other services where appropriate. Please be aware that all practice staff observe strict guidelines regarding confidentiality.
- There will be no telephone triage service – we want to use this GP time more efficiently to see medically urgent patients face to face. If you meet the criteria to be seen urgently then an appointment will be booked for you.
- GP appointments will be bookable up to 2 weeks in advance. This will ensure we don’t lose appointments if patients forget to attend and focus on seeing you within 2 weeks (where appropriate).
- Appointments that can be booked in person or over the telephone and those available online will be protected. This means those making online bookings are not competing with others ringing the surgery, or turning up in person and vice versa. We make a commitment to making 25% of our GP appointments available to online booking, in line with NHS England requirements.
- If you need a telephone consultation or follow up appointment with a GP following tests/scans, etc. these will be booked for you by our reception team (as requested by the GP) on receipt of your results. Please make sure we have your up to date telephone numbers on record.
Our goal is to provide the best service possible within the resources that we have and these changes are designed to help improve overall accessibility and patient experience. Your cooperation and support is most appreciated.
Why does the receptionist need to ask what is wrong with me?
It is not a case of the receptionists being nosey!
Reception staff are trained to ask certain questions in order to ensure that you receive:
- the most appropriate medical care
- from the most appropriate health professional
- at the most appropriate time
Our Doctors have asked our receptionists to collect brief information from patients where necessary:
- To help doctors prioritise house visits and phone calls
- To ensure that all patients receive the appropriate level of care
- To direct patients to see the nurse or other health professional rather than a doctor where appropriate
Reception staff, like all members of the team, are bound by confidentiality rules:
- Any information given by you is treated strictly confidentially
- The Practice would take any breach of confidentialitiy very seriously and deal with accordingly
- You can ask to speak to a receptionist in private away from reception
- However if you feel an issue is very private and do not wish to say what this is then this will be respected
HUB Clinics: Extended Access
Wellbrook Medical Centre is one of 8 local GP practices who are working together to try new models for improving access and offering additional appointments to our patients.
HUB appointments can be booked by our Reception team on a daily basis and are for acute (recent) problems. You will be treated by a GP or Advanced Nurse Practitioner, who (with your consent) will have access to your full medical records.
We can also offer blood test appointments at these hubs either during the evening or at the weekend, again, please call to arrange these appointments.
Hub appointments are available at the following surgeries: Hollybrook Medical Centre (Monday to Friday) Village Street Medical Centre (Tuesday & Wednesday) Chellaston Medical Centre, (Monday) all are 6.30 – 8pm. Weekend appointments are available on Saturday at Haven Medical Centre and on Sunday at Wellbrook Surgery.
The following groups are not suitable for Hub appointments (including those held at Wellbrook):
•Babies under 12 weeks old
•Chronic disease or long-term condition management that requires continuity of care
•Severe mental health problems
•Patients identified with a potentially life-threatening medical condition which requires referral to urgent or emergency care settings
To access their website and for any further information, please click on the following link Derby City South Health Care
Only doctor appointments will be available to book online. Nurse appointments will not be available online.
SystmOnline links directly to our appointment system at the surgery so you will get a live view of the appointments available at the time of booking. The only appointments that you will not be able to book are appointments for that day. If you need to be seen on the same day you are looking then you will need to telephone the surgery.
To register for our online services you will need a user name and password to be able to log into the website and this must be requested in person at the reception desk. You must provide photographic ID that has your name on (e.g. passport, driving licence). Patients under 16 years old must still provide photographic ID and can be given access via their parent or guardians record. 16 years and above must attend the surgery in person to register.
You can also:
View future or past appointments
Change your contact details
Request any repeat prescriptions
View a summary of your record
There is also a SystmOnline app that is available for iPhone and iPad users that can be downloaded for free from the App Store – search for SystmOnline.
To access the appointment system, please click on the Appointments icon at the bottom of the home page or click here.
Quick Patient Guide to using SystmOnline
These are pre-bookable up to 6 weeks in advance.
Nurses appointments vary in length of time therefore, the Practice Administrator will ask what the appointment is for to enable us to book the right time frame.